::Yearning to be a Devotee of Allah::

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Behind the Veil: Don't Oppress Me By Stripping Me of My Right to Wear the Veil

I hear and read of all the commotion going on in Europe, Middle East, and now Canada about people having a problem with a simple piece of harmless cloth I choose to wear on my face. The problem arises from either ignorance about the matter or differences with it.

I had decided to wear the veil at the age of eight-teen. Thank you very much, but it was out of my own choice. Neither was I married nor did my family encourage it. I was the first amongst my family to adorn the niqab. I feel very comfortable wearing the veil as I feel people do not judge me or treat me a certain way due to my looks. I have attended University wearing the niqab. I've traveled in public transportation with the very veil that I feel enhances my identity instead of hiding it. You may ask how so? The niqab has given me the opportunity to express myself without men in particular judging me or treating me for the way I look. I don't have to worry about looking pleasing to the eye to people who see me walking down the street. I choose to be known for my inner voice, my personality, and intellect. In the comfort of my home or private gatherings I confound to a different dress code. I am happy in own shoes and I don't wish to force people to start wearing the veil just like that I don't wish for people to force me out of my shoes.

A women in Canada can go outside in a bikini. I should be given the right to cover my face. Covering the face is not something uncommon in our society. In fact it is done by us in winter with thick scarves. It is also done by us by masking us from viruses, more recently the H1N1.
I am not asking to vote in veil or cross borders, or not to have a license without a veil. All I am saying is that I should have the right to wear a niqab wherever I so desire and if for identification purposes I need to reveal my face temporarily then I am willing to.

The niqab is not a threat. Niqab wearing women do not bite. We are not criminals. There hasn't been a history of us committing crimes. A women should be given the choice to wear the niqab or not in this country for the sake of freedom of choice and religion.

posted by VeiledOne at 9:14 PM

6 Comments:

Blogger Anwar Kamil said...

Assalamoalaikum,
A job well done. Continue blogging. Your blog encouraged me to make a blog for myself too. it is a good way to give dawah.
I pray to ALLAH to give you the istiqamat and the taufeeq and the required barakah in your work.
wasalam.
regards
Anwar

9/26/2010  
Blogger Amna H-J said...

That was a nice account of your story of Niqab. I just hope people understand and start to let people live the way they want. The West say they are better than the 'fanatic' Muslims who cage their women... when HELLO?? You just did that to the Niqabi woman by stripping their rights to educate themselves and be a normal citizen by banning Niqab. Is that really that hard to understand for people out there? I think Niqabis should really make their voices reach out to the world by pen, blog and stuff and educate the people about this wonderful thing!

9/26/2010  
Anonymous ayman said...

DAJJAL HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED!!

DO YOU KNOW THE DAJJAL (THE ANTI-CHRIST), THE ONE-EYED GIANT PROPHECISED BY THE MESSENGER OF ALLAH HAS ALREADY BEEN IN EXISTENCE FOR THE PAST 472 YEARS & HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED?

YOU MAY BE AMAZED TO KNOW THAT IT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM WHAT IT IS THOUGHT TO BE TODAY. TO SEE WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS – VISIT THE WEBSITE Islam and Dajjal AND READ THE BOOK “DAJJAL? THE JUDEO-CHRISTIAN CIVILIZATION!” AND WATCH THE DOCUMENTARY “DAJJAL? THE JUDEO-CHRISTIAN CIVILIZATION!”.

7/11/2011  
Blogger Norhafsah said...

Wonderful writing sister...jazakillah..

4/27/2013  
Blogger Faraash said...

Assalaam aleykum wa rahmatullah dear sister
MashaAllah, may Allah swt bless and keep you on His path, ameen. Since this is an older post I do now know whether you will ever read this but I ask Allah swt to reward you for your strength and bless our ummah with a strong eemaan in shaa Allah.
Love and blessings wa Salaam aleykum wa rahmatullah
Faraash

4/08/2014  
Blogger Unknown said...

Assalam o Alaikum
Do You want to know why People Go to Shrines?
Read Full Article at :
http://www.loheqalam.com/2014/08/3688/

1/03/2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home